About St Laurence's
St Laurence's is the beautiful parish church of the village of Caversfield. The oldest part of the church of Saint Laurence is the Saxon ground stage of the bell tower, probably from the 10th century. The nave and chancel were rebuilt late in the 12th century. Early in the 13th century the chancel was remodeled again in the Early English Gothic style with two lancet windows at its east end, and the bell-stage of the tower was either added or rebuilt. The small north and south aisles were added around the same time.
Each aisle is linked to the nave by an arcade of two bays, in which the style of the piers is of about 1180AD but the Early English Gothic style of the arches is of about 1230. The south walls of the church include a lancet window, a Decorated Gothic window from early in the 14th century and a Perpendicular Gothic window from late in the 15th century.
In the 18th century the north and south aisles of St. Laurence church were demolished and the two arcades blocked up. In 1874 the Gothic Revival architect Henry Woodyer restored the chancel, rebuilt the aisles and added a vestry to the east of the north aisle.
Until the 20th century the tower had three bells, including a treble bell that was cast in about 1200 for Hugh and Sibilla Gargate and is believed to be the oldest inscribed bell in England In the 20th century this bell was removed from the tower and mounted as an historic exhibit inside the church. The tower now uses a peal of five bells: two cast in 1874 and 1876, a third cast in 1928 and new treble and second bells cast in 1949.
For more detailed information about the village of Caversfield, church and local manors click here.
Opening times: The church is not normally open to the public. However, visits can be made by appointment. Please contact St Edburg's Church Office on 01869 323375 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements with the Churchwardens.
2nd Sunday of the month
A family friendly Eucharist service using Common Worship.
The church's address is:
St Laurence's Church,